Several users of cryptocurrency data platforms like CoinGecko, EtherScan and Dextools were on Friday subject to a phishing attack. Complaints from multiple users alerted that popups appeared on the platforms asking to connect their Metamask wallets.
Phishing Attack Alerts
Following this, CoinGecko tweeted, “Security Alert: If you are on the CoinGecko website and you are being prompted by your Metamask to connect to this site, this is a SCAM. Don’t connect it. We are investigating the root cause of this issue.”
In a subsequent update, CoinGecko said the phishing attack was caused by a malicious ad script by Coinzilla. “The situation is caused by a malicious ad script by Coinzilla, a crypto ad network – we have disabled it now but there may be some delay due to CDN caching. We are monitoring the situation further. Do stay on alert and don’t connect your Metamask on CoinGecko.”
Probe On Phishing
Etherscan, an analytics platform for Ethereum, tweeted,
“We have received reports of phishing popups via a 3rd party integration and are currently investigating. Please be careful not to confirm any transactions that pop up on the website. Interim we’ve taken immediate action to disable the said 3rd party integration on Etherscan.”
Similarly, reacting to an alert to not sign any requests delivered to Metamask wallets, Dextools, a DeFi app, said it was disabling all ads until the situation is clarified by Coinzilla. “Please be aware and don’t sign suspicious requests at your wallet. DEXTools does not automatically request any permissions.”
The latest attack adds to the growing number of hacking and phishing instances in the crypto space. Apart from prominent crypto platforms that were subject to hacking, crypto wallets have also been targetted by the perpetrators.
According to statistics from Chainalysis, an estimated $14 billion was siphoned off in various crypto-related security breaches in 2021.
- VanEck and 21Shares Suspend Their Terra ETPs After Recent Collapse
- Major Phishing Attack Targets Users On Crypto Data Sites
- LUNA Update: Terra Founder Proposes Resetting Terra’s Ownership To 1 Billion Tokens
- This US Leader Opposes Fed’s CBDC Plan, Here’s Why
- Breaking: LUNA Back Up, Binance Resumes Deposits And Withdrawals
- FTX CEO Refuses To Sell His Crypto Holdings; But Can He Save Crypto?
- Coinbase Admits Risk To Investor Fund Again, Reiterates Safety
- This LUNA $UST Stablecoin Rival Makes Positive Strides Amid Crash
- Just-In: Canadian Bitcoin ETF Records Largest Single Daily Purchase Of Over $2 Billion
- CZ Reveals Why He Shutdown LUNA And UST Trading On Binance
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Approaches $0.50; Is Bounce Back Feasible?
- Polkadot Price Analysis: Declining trendline Prevents DOT Price Recovery
- FTM Price Analysis: Retest to Channel Support Hints at Bullish Recovery
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA price Jumps 57%; Bulls Target $1.50 Next?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Is $2,500 On The Way Amid RSI Bullish Divergence?
- GALA Price Analysis: $0.075 Fakeout Triggers A Potential Recovery
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Reclaims $30K Amid Extreme Oversold Market Conditions; Time To Buy?
- BNB Price Analysis: BNB Rebounds From $263 Eyes Next Target of $335
- APE Price Analysis: Can Renewed Bullish Rally Surpass $10 Mark?
- Solana Price Prediction: SOL Price Struggles Below $50.0; Is August Low On Horizon?